Thursday 6 October 2011

Tamiya #54236 Front Aluminium Damper Stay

Having read a couple of guides by the 'successful' Tamiya M-05 drivers from the USA and Australia, I thought I'd try out the Tamiya Aluminium Front Damper Stay (#54236). This allows the front shocks to be fitted to the car in a much more upright configuration, which in turn allows a much stiffer front suspension.


I went ahead and bought the damper stay and fitted it in time for the Colchester round of the SPC (Super Production Cup). Running back-to-back, the difference was noticeable. Off-power, the car is definitely more stable, understeering when thrown into a corner. The car now feels much more predictable in corner entry.

I would expect that the same effect could be had by thickening the front shock oil, however this would be at the expense of reduced ability to handle bumps. Overall, it was a worthwhile investment given my driving style (rather aggressive, scrub speed off during the turn rather than braking heavily before it) - my corner entry is now much improved and the lap-times are coming down. A good buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment